I shop at Marshall's. What am I doing here?

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Urban Outfitters in Disguise, aka Kitson


Robertson is where Urban Outfitters - home to piles of t-shirts, fine literature (e.g. The Pop-Up Kama Sutra, You Are SO Not Invited To My Bat Mitzvah) and pure kitsch - masquerades as an upscale boutique, under the alias "Kitson."

Like Urban Outfitters, Kitson markets up-to-the minute pop culture with an impressive mark up. The difference, however, is the number of zeros in the price. My Paris sighting took place at the store, confirming not only the very rich and spoiled shop here, but also the arithmetically impaired.

Compare for yourself:
Kitson / Urban Outfitters
Team Jolie T, $48 / Avoid Temptation Mae West T, $28
Anchor pendant necklace, $165 / Anchor pendant necklace, $18
Men's "Wiener" brief, $27 / "Butt Hugger" 3-pack, $26


Imagine my horror when, left to her own devices during a visit, the woman who weaned me on red tag specials took a walk around the block. "I went into that Kitman," my mother informed me. "Hmph!" she sniffed. "Those prices! In a store with concrete floors!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home